Top bar page nav

Saturday, May 27, 2017

In Gender & Development Work, Remember: Development itself is Gendered

Julie Sherbill is a first year Peace Corps Volunteer serving near Marrakech. Having lived in Turkey and worked for an international fellowship program, she believes well-designed cultural exchanges are crucial for a more peaceful and just world. As a Volunteer at a new site, you can often find Julie closing her eyes and repeating to herself over and over again that our value is based in relationships and not in productivity. Read more about her service on her blog: In the End, We’re All Shoes.


Julie Blog Pic kulchi.jpg


In Gender & Development Work, Remember: Development itself is Gendered
By Julie Sherbill
See if you can spot what these three anecdotes have in common. One is from home, and two are from my Peace Corps service so far.
  • I am volunteering at the annual Human Rights Campaign (HRC) National Dinner, which is worth several hundred dollars a ticket. I am standing with my friend and fellow volunteer, an LGBT activist from Egypt, when an older white man, an attendee, approaches us. In a “father-son” type way, he grabs my friend’s shoulder and asks, “now how can we help the horrible situation for LGBT folks in the Arab world?” As the man walked away, my friend wondered aloud, “why did that question bother me so much?”
  • At a training, as I’m drifting asleep, my friend wakes me up to tell me she’ll be leaving tomorrow. She talked with her husband in another city, who decided he is not comfortable with her sleeping out. “He loves me, he just doesn’t trust me,” my friend explained. I wanted to tell my friend to break off the relationship ASAP; I think she’ll be better off on her own, with freedom to do what she wants.
  • I’m doing the PACA mapping activity with girls from the Dar Taliba. I tell them to color in green the spaces where they feel safe. In the next class, we discuss. I ask them “do you have anywhere to go where you feel safe?” No. The next questions on the sheet: “what does this say about your daily life in your community?” and “what are some next steps?” The questions felt leading, but I asked them anyway. The girls said, “well, we learned that our lives are boring, and we have no safe space.” Another girl chimed in, “no, but we have to thank God for all that we have, and we have enough.”


These individual anecdotes all remind me of the fine, fine line between empowerment and paternalism within even the most well-intentioned human rights work, including Gender & Development (GAD) work. In theory, helping people connect their own personal hardships to larger systems of inequality in society would empower them. Why then, when I want to tell someone that they don’t have privilege, does it feel like I’m taking their own agency away?


I think it’s because development work, both at home and abroad, has for so long been part of that same gendered framework that boxes people into inequality. Peace Corps, more specifically, emerged right at the end of the European colonial period, during a time when international (and domestic) development was even more patriarchal than it is today. We cannot take our work here out of this context—we should always be questioning how it colors our view throughout these 2+ years.


The Shadow of the Ugly American


My first instinct in helping, as you can see from my stories, is sympathy, which means “feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else’s misfortune.” Empathy means “the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.” But sympathy isn’t productive—instead, it is reductive. It reduces and simplifies the people you’re trying to help.


If I spend more time just hanging out with my friend and hearing about her life, if I learn how the girls in the Dar Taliba do have fun without a designated “safe space”—I can begin to understand them as full, complicated human beings, instead of underprivileged projects. In time, I might even be able to empathize with others—that is, to see where they’re coming from, get how they’re feeling, and know if there’s a way I can actually help them (and vice versa). I might not end up accomplishing that much on paper, but at least I’ll have real friendships.


Yet even if I’m befriending people and learning the language, there are still a thousands ways I can be the Ugly American. This is now a pejorative trope that refers to “perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad, but also at home.” Since Peace Corps was established to counter this very picture, it seems like the Ugly American’s shadow is always hanging over my head, reminding me of what I could so easily, and unintentionally, become.


Personally, like so many with privilege, I have been able to benefit from systems of class and race without ever having to acknowledge the concept at all. Every time I post pictures on facebook or random epiphanies on my blog, I’m wary of becoming like voluntourists whose primary goal is not to understand their host community, but rather, show that they understand it.


Julie blog pic stats.jpg


Gender and Development, but also Gendered Development


I need to find a way to work productively here, even with that Ugly American ego creeping in the context, threatening to envelope me. If I am going to make these years worthwhile, I need to be myself—my outspoken, feminist, and eager beaver self. But I need to recognize when that self is actually pushing other voices down rather than amplifying them.


As individual Volunteers with varying levels of privilege, we must critique the power structures that lead to gender disparities not only at our sites, but also within the context of our Peace Corps experience. How do our diverse backgrounds affect the way we see life, do work, and relate to people at our sites? As gender advocates, we cannot be selective in what we view through this lens.


I believe productive work doesn’t have to be tangible—it can lie in relationships, conversations, and individual shifts in mindset. That’s what I love about GAD’s approach to work; even if I don’t implement a girls’ empowerment camp, there is still value in my individual conversations surrounding gender. Similarly, critical conversations about gendered development are vital among Peace Corps Volunteers, as our individual services do not exist in vacuums. After all, isn’t it true that we can have a higher impact on our own Peace Corps community than the sites where we serve?


---

Posted by Katie Bercegeay

No comments:

Post a Comment